15 July 2011

Thoughts on Romania

Last week, I was in Romania serving alongside missionaries working in the field there.  As I come home from a trip {especially a mission trip}, my least favorite question EVER is “How was your trip?”  It is impossible to describe a trip in a quick conversation.  How do I paint a picture of the facesfaces with eyes that show brokenness and desperation and hunger?  How do I describe the pain of my heart breaking for children who are starving?  For the mothers who want you to take their babies and rescue them from a life of darkness and hopelessness?  I do not really know how to describe what I have experienced in Romania.  I have seen a lotcity life in Oradea; village life; country life; life as a gypsy, a widow, an orphan.  All have touched my heart.

     Going to Romania, I really did not know what to expect.  Sure, I have been to Europe many times, but never to Romania.  My trip was surprising and touchingthose might be the 2 best words to describe how I feel as I process through all I have seen and heard.

     When I think of Europe, I think of the architecture and the historynot the darkness and the poverty, but I experienced both of those things in a very REAL way.  I do not know what the Lord’s plan is for Oradea and its surrounding villages, but I know that I serve a God who is so much bigger than {what seems to be} an impossible, hopeless situation.  He is bigger that the prejudices the gypsy people face daily.  He is bigger than the abusive parents.  He is bigger than a non-functioning, backwards government.  He is bigger than pimps who take innocent girls into prostitution.  He is bigger than poverty and hunger.  I know He is.  I know He is sovereign.  I do not get it; I cannot comprehend it, but I know He has a plan.  A plan to bring Him glory.

     My mind is filled with thoughts and prayers from my trip to Romania.  I have a lot to process.  I have a lot to consider.

To learn more about ministry in Romania, visit Belief in Motion’s website:

No comments:

Post a Comment